Saturday, December 8, 2012

The pursuit of education.

I am currently pursuing a Master's degree. Well, two in fact, but you can't technically be in two different degree programs at the same time so it's more of a "finish one, immediately start the next one" type of deal. It's a science degree in Cyber Security, coupling on an MBA at the end that will most likely cripple any extra income I get for the next ten years.

Why am I doing it? Because I'm insane. That's why. Actually no, I'm not insane. I just like learning. It's not like I have zero federal loan debt that makes my brain ask what other types of monthly expenses it wants to tack on. It's not like I have an abundance of free time seven days a week, either. I'm not even entirely sure that I will even be able to find a job that will use both of them - it's just that my current role as a Business Analyst has a hybrid use of technology and business skills, so I want to continue to go down this path and see where it takes me.

No, I'm doing more school because I want to do it. I'm very much against sitting still in life, which is probably why I've had quite a few jobs, girlfriends, social groups, and even hobbies of interest. None of them last too long, but I always come back to them because I like switching things up and keeping things interesting. It's probably a major personality flaw, but it's me.

The only negative I can say about my school is that it is purely online. It's a blessing and a curse because I don't have to travel across the state a couple times a week, and I can do most of my work at home at my own pace. I like not having a set classroom to be in, which means I can revolve my weeks around whatever I have had planned already. Do I want to go to a concert? Sure! Just make sure I stay up until 10 PM for four days straight so I can have a paper written. Oh, this means I have to have all the readings and other assignments done. It gets tiring after awhile, but I enjoy it at the same time. Even if I don't use my degrees for a few years it will be nice to have that "M.S." at the end of my email signatures. I also like hanging things on my walls besides movie and concert posters.

The professors are an entirely different issue though, and it's gotten to the point that a couple of my fellow classmates have emailed the entire course and asked if they were insane for thinking that the teaching level was below standard. Generally most of us have agreed, and it's very disheartening to hear a professor say, "I just grade your work" when we ask for help or clarification on what we have to do. Some people (myself included) cannot learn completely tactile; we need hands-on or visual help, so feeling that we are paying $600/credit to basically do Google searches if we are confused on something our text book says doesn't make one feel like they have made a good investment.

Still... maybe I just feel like the courses should be harder. I definitely do a lot of work in them, but on most of my assignments I feel like I am only challenged less than half the time. I know I'm not a genius, so maybe I just thought a Master's degree should be hard when in fact it's not? That doesn't make sense to me. I am holding onto a 3.2 GPA right now, and I could easily be doing a lot more work each week than I do... yet there's no reason for me to do so because my mind is saying that I'm passing with ease with my current study habits so why change it?

Ah well. My school is part of the official Maryland university system. It's accredited  and has been around for a long time. I highly doubt it's a degree mill; it must just be that my pursuit is a new one for the school so they are still refining it.

As long as it all still counts when I get to finally walk across the stage then I won't mind if the journey was sometimes hinky or confusing. As long as it doesn't screw me when I get into a job that requires me to use the skills I was supposed to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment