Monday, January 28, 2013

Bleeding Edge of Technology


I have a confession to make: As much of a technology savvy person that I am, I have an inferior Windows OS (don't get started with the "Any Microsoft product is inferior!" Linux-entitled bullshit). I have Windows 8. I know. I KNOW. I stupidly updated from Windows 7 because I thought newer is better.


I was wrong. The tiles are stupid. I want a basic desktop. That's it. I don't have a touchscreen for my computer.


That's right. It's my shame. When I walk into work I have to hide the fact that some of the servers in the back room are better than the system I am messing around with at the apartment. I know I bought and built it over a month ago with 4 cores, a roaring graphics card, and enough RAM to choke a horse. It is severely bottlenecked and therefore useless, because of how gimped Windows 8 is. Sure, it's not Windows Vista (I used to have that too), but it's... eh. Boring.


As every day passes I get closer and closer to the frightening day when I must face the truth and say to myself that my "high end" machine should have an asterisk next to it.


You see, I recently acquired a trial version of Adobe's new all-in-one Master Suite for their plethora package of stuff. However, the two biggest additions from the last version run on a system that I currently don't have. That's right, I have finally something that has a minimum requirement that I don't meet. And that minimum requirement requires me going back in time and downgrading my operating system.


For some people anything that deals with the insides of a Dell computer from the late 90s is a scary process filled with numbers, smoke, and a lot of crying. For me, working with a computer is an entertaining process filled with a lot of drivers, reboots, disks, and crying. Not only do I usually get to wipe my computer clean (meaning good bye to any junk that was hiding on there for the last two years) but it also means everything I have on there has a chance to get updated whenever I crack open its plastic shell! I spent a good portion of last night making sure I have a checklist ready to go of the programs that have to be installed back on incase my machine ever bites the dusk - and even after I took off the ones that weren't absolutely needed it still reached up to three dozen titles.


It'll be a long night once my hard drive blows up.


I'm a little nervous, I'll admit. New Operating Systems are new territories that I don't like venturing down. I am content in the unchanging nature of my systems.


I mean, Windows Vista sucks. Always had, always will. At least I got rid of that cancer pretty quickly.Right...?


If I don't come back alive whenever I decide to remove Windows 8 make sure my warranty cards are filled out. Someone can get a refund or two from the mail-in rebate (in 6-8 weeks).

No comments:

Post a Comment